Who doesn’t love mixing up a bubbly combination of baking soda and vinegar!?
Add the joy of building and playing in the snow = some very happy kids!
Grab a pitcher or bucket and place it into the snow.
Build a mountain of snow around it. Leaving just a hole at the top uncovered.
Grab a container of baking soda and a container of vinegar.
Add colour to the vinegar.
Dump the baking soda into the hole (into the pitcher) …
And then add the coloured vinegar and watch!
- Encourage the kids to predict what will happen
- Use a variety of colours. Blend and mix colours.
- Build a Giant Snow-cano
- Make it a race – set up a few snow-canos and watch to see which one will erupt first
- Make predictions about what will happen to the ‘lava’ if left in the snow
- Add lightweight objects – such as pom-poms or buttons – will they stay in the container? Or bubble over the side?
- Leave the vinegar outside … Does it freeze? If frozen and added to the baking soda… Will it still bubble?
And PLEASE share your experience with me! I love hearing your stories and seeing your photos.
If you know someone who’d enjoy this activity, please share.